Wednesday 27 June 2012

Z-Cars 50th Anniversary


I must admit I'm surprised that very few people talk about this well remembered series and at it's 50th anniversary year, there has been no special events or repeats of the show which is a shame as it's actually a decent show to watch but it seems the BBC has no interest in showing this to a new audience either by repeats or releasing it on DVD.

This show is unique as it started a new wave of police drama shows which took on a more gritty feel compared to the likes of Dixon of Dock Green which was a much lighter tone of police drama. Z-Cars was a show that starred the likes of such famous actors like Brian Blessed, Bernard Holley, Ian Cullen and John Challis to name a few throughout the run of the show. The show was about the work of mobile police units patrolling the streets of the fictional town of Newtown in Merseyside. The series started in 1962 and ended in 1978, the show also had a spin off called Softly, Softly which had two of the original cast in.

So for it's 50th anniversary, I'm going to try to review at least one episode of the series, I say try because it is near impossible to try and find any episodes around and if I do find one, it will most likely be from the Brian Blessed era as I have had no luck at all in finding any episodes of the later seasons to watch, I do know that not all the episodes survive but with about half the entire run of the show surviving but there must be a few around that I can watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment